Andover Choral Society Music Director
Andover Choral Society (ACS) seeks an experienced, visionary, and collaborative music director with a deep knowledge of classical choral music to lead, inspire, and grow the organization. Founded in 1929, Andover Choral Society is a non-auditioned 60-80 member SATB community chorus located in Andover, MA. Our membership draws from towns throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. Rehearsals are held on Monday nights, with two choral concerts per season. The target selection date for this position is summer 2022, with rehearsals for the 2022-2023 season to begin in mid-September 2022. To learn more about Andover Choral Society, please visit andoverchoralsociety.org.
Position Overview Reporting to the board of directors, the music director is responsible for helping Andover Choral Society fulfill its mission to present exceptional performances, connect to the larger community, and foster an appreciation of choral music.
- Prepares for and conducts weekly rehearsals
- Prepares for and conducts at least two choral concerts per season
- Participates in community outreach
- Works closely with the volunteer board of directors
Duties Preparation for Choral Performances
- Conduct engaging weekly rehearsals that are supportive of a wide variety of musical abilities, that adequately prepare chorus members for each concert, and that include vocal warm-ups and sectionals as needed
- In consultation with the board, select concert programs that are suitable for the ability and size of the chorus and that reflect ACS’s commitment to attracting diverse members, growing and diversifying its audience, and bringing exceptional classical choral music performances to the Merrimack Valley
- Submit proposed concert programs and corresponding budgets to the board for approval.
- Hire orchestra members and soloists and provide them with music scores
- Work with the board treasurer and ACS librarian to procure musical scores for the chorus, soloists and orchestra
- Supervise the accompanist
- Arrange for substitute conductors in the music director’s absence
- Arrange for substitute accompanist as needed
- Work with the board to coordinate details for public performances, including selecting performance venues
- Notify the board’s facilities manager of concert needs
- Collaborate with the board to provide information for the concert program.
- For each performance, conduct an additional rehearsal during concert week, a dress rehearsal with orchestra and soloists, and the concert
- Periodically participate in media events to promote the chorus
- Collaborate with area performing arts groups and local organizations as
- Develop a core repertoire of short-length choral pieces for community outreach performances
- Represent Andover Choral Society in the choral arts community
- Develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with the board and the membership through collaborative, timely, and effective oral and written communication
- Work with the board to prepare annual budgets
- Work with the board to facilitate donor relations, including identifying grant and other funding opportunities
- Work with the board on long-range strategic planning
- Bachelor’s degree or graduate degree in choral conducting or music education
- A minimum of three years of experience in conducting and instructing amateur adult singers and conducting professional orchestras
- Ability to work effectively with a volunteer board and a diverse group of singers
- Experience developing a strong working relationship with a collaborative pianist
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable with use of the internet, email, social networking, and virtual conferencing tools such as Zoom
- Proficiency in music-related technology and online resources to support music learning, rehearsals and performances
- Track record of collaborative and diplomatic problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills.
Note: This posting includes key elements of the music director position but is not an all-inclusive description of the position responsibilities. The music director is a part-time independent contractor and receives no benefits. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.