MUSIC DIRECTOR – IMMEDIATE OPENING
Andover Choral Society
Andover Choral Society seeks an experienced, visionary, and collaborative music director with a deep knowledge of classical choral music to lead, inspire, and grow the organization. Founded in 1929, Andover Choral Society is a non-auditioned 60-80 member SATB community chorus located in Andover, MA, with a mission to present exceptional performances, connect to the larger community, and foster an appreciation of choral music. Our membership draws from towns throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. Rehearsals are held on Monday nights, with two choral concerts per season.
- Select music for and conduct at least two concerts per year
- Prepare for and conduct weekly rehearsals
- Participate in community outreach
- Work closely with the volunteer board of directors
- Inspire a love of choral singing among the membership
- Degree in music with special emphasis on voice or choral conducting preferred
- A minimum of three years of experience in conducting and instructing amateur adult singers and conducting professional orchestras
- Working knowledge of basic vocal fundamentals and choral techniques
- Ability to provide positive reinforcement and constructive criticism through instruction
- Ability to work effectively with a volunteer board and a diverse group of singers
- Ability to develop a strong working relationship with accompanist
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable with use of the internet and with music-related technology
- Track record of collaborative and diplomatic problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills.
Interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 1, 2022. Audio or video recordings of rehearsals or performances are encouraged but not required. Interviews will begin in July and each finalist for the position will be asked to conduct a rehearsal with members of the chorus. We hope to make a final selection by mid August. Rehearsals begin on September 19, 2022.
To see a detailed description of the position and to learn more about Andover Choral Society, please visit andoverchoralsociety.org